Friday, 8 September 2017

Bark on Track: a dog blogs

Two years ago we adopted Nancy, a rescue dog from Romania. In two weeks she'll be accompanying me on the 50K Peak District Challenge, which I'm hoping to complete within the target time of 12 hours. I've said quite a lot about the event so for the sake of balance I thought I'd ask Nancy herself to write a few words...

--- 

Hey there everybody. My name’s Nancy, I’m four years old, I’m originally from Romania, got kind of yellow hair, a loud voice and I’m sure there’s something else I should tell you about myself oh yes that’s right I’m a dog.

So APPARENTLY I’m doing this Peak District challenge on 23 September. Not that I’ve had much say in the matter. I just came over from Romania like two years ago and I have literally no idea what a peak district even is. Just that this guy who says he ‘rescued’ me says we have to walk for 12 hours to raise money for something called Back on Track. Hey, I just thought of something – BARK ON TRACK! Ha! You can use that if you like. I know what you’re thinking though. This guy’s making me walk 50 KILOMETERS and yet supposedly I’ve been RESCUED? Dude please.

And he keeps banging on about what a big deal this walk is. Like, there’s all this kit you have to have. You need a compass and you have to be able to read a map really well so you don’t get lost up some hill. Knowing him, though, he’ll make a right dog’s breakfast of it. Well I hope so, I’ll be starving!

He also says that he’ll be so tired after the challenge that he’s going to make a reservation for a mini-break. Well he actually said ‘when it’s over I’m going to book a rest’. OK, I said, give my love to the folks back home! Huh, why the blank looks. Come on guys. Book a rest = Bucharest. Why aren’t you laughing. Bucharest. It’s the capital of Romania. Oh, never mind.

Anyway you’re probably wondering what a dog thinks about during a 12 hour walk. Well, I’m a philosophical kind of pooch and I often find that the big questions weigh heavily on my furry shoulders. Like, injustice, conflict and the crushing futility of the doggy condition.

Nah, just messing with ya. It’s sausages.

To sponsor Nancy (and Sam) visit https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/mypage/samturner